If you have not yet been to the Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant in Sevierville, I highly suggest you add to your bucket list. Due to Hurricane Debby forcing us to cancel our beach vacation, we ended up spending a long week in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. During this time, we ate out for a few of our meals, wanting to try as much as we could. This was my first time to this area, but my husband has fond memories of the "apple butter place" he used to visit as a kid. Lo and behold, we actually found the place he was talking about. The Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant is known for their apple butter, among other things. We decided to try it out one warm summer evening for dinner.
We were delighted when we first arrived, at the cute white building with the large wrap around porch and the comforting feel of the white rocking chairs. The restaurant is very large and has lots of seating. However with carefully placed partitions, it makes you feel like you're in a small, cozy restaurant. We didn't have a male server, so I'm not sure what their attire is, but the servers all seemed to be older women dressed in "granny dresses" (per their website). The waitresses all have a Southern accent, that I find comforting, paired with the granny dresses; it's like you're being served by a sweet grandma.
After ordering our food, we were brought out our complimentary apple fritters with apple butter and our complimentary glasses of their homemade apple julep. We were all delighted to try our delicious and complimentary appetizers. It was refreshing to us, as we have only ever had free bread at restaurants. This was definitely a step up.
I absolutely had to order the fried chicken dinner, as it is one of my favorite foods. With the meal I ordered, it came with broccoli cheddar soup, 4 pieces of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and one side- I picked fried okra. In addition, we all got to pick between an apple crumble and apple spiced cake for dessert, that came with the meal. The kids also got their own apple julep and shared the fritters. They got to choose between icecream and a chocolate chip cookie for their complimentary dessert.
The food was great, I loved my fried chicken. The outside was perfectly crispy and the chicken inside was nice and juicy. Since I had four pieces, I let the kids try some and they loved it as well. The mashed potatoes were great and I loved the fried okra. The apple fritters were good with or without the apple butter and the apple julep was tasty as well. The julep tasted like fresh apple and orange juice mixed.
My meal was $22.99 which included 4 pieces of fried chicken, broccoli cheddar soup, mashed potatoes, okra and my apple crumble dessert. We also got the complimentary apple fritters with apple butter to share and our own individual apple julep drinks. I feel like the price seems a little high, but the quality and quantity of the food was worth it. Everyone was beyond full of good food.
The restaurant was very clean, the staff was very polite. My only criticism, is that I think they should have some fried chicken or chicken tenders on the kids menu. The only chicken they had on the kids menu was chicken and dumplings. My kids love fried chicken, but I don't neccessarily want to buy them a huge adult meal so they can have some.
If you are in the area, I highly recommend trying this restaurant. When we visited, the other shops were closed, but it looks like you could buy apple butter, ice cream, wine etc at the other shops on the property.






Comments
Post a Comment